Kung Pao Chicken – without peanuts
4 boneless & skinless chicken breast (best if brined overnight in sugar salt solution)
chili flakes to taste or desired ‘heat’
3 tablespoons EVOO
5 slices peeled fresh ginger or ground ginger 3 tbsp
2 gloves garlic (sliced diagonally)
1 stalk scallion chopped
1 red, yellow and green pepper sliced
1 red onion sliced
For the sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tbsp corn starch
3 tbsps of apple sauce or ½ grated apple
Splash of red wine
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with one tablespoon cooking oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until they are 70% cook. Dish out and set aside.
- Clean the wok and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until it smokes.
- Add in the ginger and garlic slices and do a quick stir before adding in the dried red chilies.
- Stir fry the dried red chilies until they smell spicy, then add in the chicken meat.
- Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the sauce.
- Add in the scallions, peppers and onions and stir evenly.
- Dish out and serve hot with steamed white rice